The 404’s heritage as Zipp’s icon of speed extends back decades, and its future is even brighter. At 58mm deep, the 404 Firecrest Tubeless is ideal for road races, time trial and triathlon, and gran fondos. The wheelset’s 23mm internal width is perfect for running wider tubeless tires at reduced air pressure.
That is a vital component of Total System Efficiency, or TSE, an approach to speed on ever-changing roads and riding conditions. Specifically, TSE focuses on overcoming specific barriers to speed: wind resistance, gravity, rolling resistance, and vibration losses. Zipp’s ABLC Sawtooth Technology uses an intricate dimpling pattern to improve aero efficiency.
Zipp’s use of hookless (straight side) rims in the 404 Firecrest is integral to Making You Faster. With hookless, the transition between the tire and the rim is more seamless and aero. Zipp’s hookless rims have more efficient resin distribution, which means lighter, stronger wheels.
Outdoor testing commissioned by Zipp revealed the real-world gains of Zipp TSE. A bike- and-rider system weighing
85kg (187lbs) on the new 404 Firecrest with 25mm tires required 286 watts to maintain a speed of 40kph. That’s a 4-watt savings compared with the previous model 404 Firecrest.
At the center of the 404 Firecrest Tubeless Disc-brake is a versatile and durable hubset, the German- engineered ZR1 DB. If you had to choose just one wheel for road riding and racing, the 404 Firecrest Tubeless Disc brake is a savvy and speedy choice.
FEATURES AND TECHNOLOGY:
- – Total System Efficiency
- – ABLC Dimples
- – Versatile race wheelset for the modern road race bike with tubeless and hookless rim profile
- – Optimized tire bed for easy tire installation
- – Wide 23mm rim profile creates a better tire interface to be fast on or off the road
- – New ZR1 DB hub is engineered in Germany with better seal design for improved durability and quicker response with 66 points of engagement
- – Ships with 12mm front and rear end caps
– Center locking rotor interface. Lockring is included with the wheels
– XDR or SRAM/Shimano driver bodies
– Campagnolo driver body sold separately
– The 404 Firecrest Tubeless Disc- brake is about 370 grams lighter than its predecessor
– 1450g wheelset*
– Front 660g Rear 790g – Lifetime Warranty